POSITION: Medical Laboratory Technician
POSITION SUMMARY: Under supervision, performs routine and special laboratory assays of patient specimens in the laboratory. Performs various microscopic, chemical, hematological, immunologic, or bacteriologic assays according to established standards. Calibrates and operates all instruments and equipment according to preventative maintenance schedule. Records and enters test results.
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates expertise in all aspects of blood and specimen procurement, including venipuncture finger sticks and other procedures as required.
- Proficient and efficient in all aspects of laboratory order entry processes, including patient registration, insurance verification, and ordering of tests.
- Follows procedures for specimen handling and processing to ensure correct specimen integrity. Identifies, resolves, and documents all problems with specimen integrity.
- Adheres to all safety regulations, including the use of personal protective devices and safety procedures when dealing with bio-hazardous materials.
- Operates assigned work areas and instruments proficiently and efficiently consistent with training objectives. This includes following all procedures for operation, result reporting, and maintenance.
- Pays attention to details and produces high quality results on assigned benches and documents and takes appropriate actions for any outliers or special circumstances.
- Follow Quality Control procedures, taking and documenting appropriate actions as circumstances dictate.
- Performs, documents, and takes appropriate actions for routine maintenance for assigned areas.
- Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either corrects the problem or immediately notifies the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Fosters a team environment by recognizing and taking appropriate steps to adjust scheduled work area to assist in areas that require additional support.
- Volunteers and consistently accomplishes other tasks/projects/responsibilities as assigned in a timely manner consistent with expectations.
- Provides coverage as MOHS Tech. as required.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Takes initiative to seek out tasks and duties or to assist others as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and practices.
MLT (ASCP) Certification is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess excellent customer service skills, good organizational skills, and pay attention to detail.