POSITION: HIM Release of Information Technician
POSITION SUMMARY: The Release of Information (ROI) Technician is responsible for determining appropriate access to and release of information from patient health records for both patient requests and third party requests for information from other medical providers, subpoenas, attorneys, insurance companies and government entities for compliance audit purposes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enters request in the ROI database, verifying the name, DOB, medical record number, name of requestor, address and phone number of requestor, purpose of the request and specific health record information requested.
- Verifies that the request includes a signed authorization from the patient and that the authorization meets the legal requirements of a valid release form according to federal and state regulations.
- Comprehends the HIPAA guidelines with a thorough understanding of when an authorization is required and when it is not, such as Workers Compensation and Treatment, Payment and Operations.
- Responds to walk in patients requesting information and assists them with completing the appropriate Patient Request for Information and verifies proper identification.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions in ROI Software and NextGen database.
- Analyzes possible deficiencies with Requests for Information and problem solves the solutions, to include calling requesting entities for additional information.
- Understands the rules of law that govern proper handling of legal subpoenas, time constraints, requests for certified copies, etc.
- Processes onsite payments for medical record copies through credit card or check payments only. No cash.
- Requests purged charts from offsite warehouse when appropriate.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
Minimum of High School Diploma with additional medical terminology coursework preferred. Experience in medical field with medical data entry, electronic filing, release of information, and/or document scanning required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Medical terminology, above average computer skills, and knowledge of office equipment are all required. Must be self-motivated and disciplined in independent work requiring a high degree of concentration and organization in a fast paced environment. Strong verbal communication skills, success in responding to customer inquiries, and attention to detail.