POSITION: Surgery/Procedure Scheduler
POSITION SUMMARY: Schedules and coordinates all surgeries and/or procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedules office and any other post-op care and procedures.
- Schedules hospital surgeries.
- Arranges assists if needed for specific surgeries.
- Pre-certifies surgeries and have patients sign office/hospital/facility forms.
- Ensure all patients have instructions for any preps/surgeries and document this in their chart.
- Prints recall list monthly and schedule patients for follow-up procedures.
- Handles phone calls from patients/family members regarding their surgeries.
- Keeps physician’s calendar up to date with all procedures/surgeries.
- When scheduling surgeries give instructions for special equipment, personnel, including notifying drug representatives.
- Obtains current labs and x-rays prior to surgery and follows office protocol for pre-op testing.
- Keeps up to date record/surgery schedule in addition to placing in NextGen.
- Documents informative messages for physicians utilizing the EMR system per departmental protocols.
- Ensures adequate supplies are maintained to continue uninterrupted workflow.
- Verifies demographic information, including insurance when scheduling surgeries/procedures.
- Reinforces instructions and explanations of surgeries to patients per physician protocol.
- Works with Practice Manager on obtaining block of time for physicians.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
Additional Responsibilities (Other departments as required)
- Adequately schedules surgery procedures from NextGen, fax, and by phone.
- Assembles patient chart according to specified procedures.
- Monitors block schedule and ensures accurate scheduling.
- Monitors schedule to prevent equipment conflicts.
- Coordinates EKG and required testing if patients need pre-op.
- Obtains current lab tests, orders, and x-rays and place in patients’ medical record.
- Works with Surgery Director and/or Charge Nurse on obtaining block of time for physicians.
- Compiles necessary reports in regards to surgery scheduling.
- Assists with inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Responsible for verifying accuracy and completeness of medical records
- Cross trains with Patient Service Representative.
- Communicates with the Business Office in regards to verifying insurance and pre-certification of patients.
- Maintains good working relationships with all contacts.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Previous experience in surgery scheduling is preferred. Must have prior computer experience. Position requires constant and frequent judgment and response. Must have excellent communication and grammar skills. Must be detail-oriented. Must have good follow through, be able to multi-task, and possess sound judgment.