POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for both the procurement of specimens for subsequent analyses as well as for patient reception, laboratory order entry, information processing, specimen collection instructions, phlebotomy workflow, specimen processing, and handling and distribution of laboratory results. Candidate will work at the main campus and satellite offices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates expertise in all aspects of blood and specimen procurement, including venipuncture, finger sticks, and other procedures as required.
- Consistently adheres to all safety regulations, including washing hands between patients and uses appropriate personal protective devices when required.
- Ensures routine specimens and those requiring special handling procedures are always collected in the correct blood draw tube(s) and/or container.
- Correctly labels specimens and ensures the positive identification of patient identity and laboratory specimens.
- Provides correct instructions to patients for special collections in a clear and concise manner.
- Exhibits proficiency in specimen processing and transport procedures (if applicable).
- Blood drawing and workstations are kept clean, orderly, and well stocked.
- Demonstrates good judgment in dealing with difficult patients and circumstances.
- Proficient and efficient in all aspects of laboratory order entry processes, including patient registration, insurance verification, and ordering of tests.
- Pays attention to details, makes minimal mistakes, and identify, resolve, and follow up on all problems as arise.
- Takes initiative during slow periods to seek out and perform non-time dependent tasks.
- Recognizes and takes appropriate steps to adjust scheduled work to assist in areas requiring additional support.
- Identifies and notifies supervisor of possible ideas to improve daily operations and enhance the efficiency and delivery of laboratory services.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
Completion of a phlebotomy program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must pay close attention to detail, be organized, and provide excellent customer service. In addition must be able to prioritize work and be a team player.