POSITION: Patient Accounts Financial Counselor
POSITION SUMMARY: Position responds to incoming phone inquiries and researches problem accounts. Assists patients, physicians and other staff with patient account issues. Updates patient demographic and insurance information. Prepares forms, secures insurance and benefit information and explains rules, policies and procedures related to securing financial information.
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Available for walk-in customers and incoming phone inquiries during assigned hours as a liaison at the Main Clinic location for patient account issues adhering to HIPAA guidelines and South Bend Clinic policies.
- Provides customers with precise account information, updating demographic information, prorating accounts when necessary, making necessary corrections to the customers account and responding to customer concerns in a courteous and timely manner, documenting fully and accurately on the account or encounters appropriately.
- Has a full understanding of multiple payers, payer issues, contractual obligations, patient responsibilities, and is able to provide or refer customers for financial payment assistance or arrangements.
- Brings encounters to resolution by acting as a liaison between patient, payer, and at times physicians, when needed, to provide the customer and/or payer with clear and accurate billing information to expedite payment in full in a courteous and timely manner including, preparing forms, explaining rules, policies, and procedures.
- Works assigned listing of aged small balance accounts in a timely manner, resolves billing issues that delay reimbursement, follows-up timely, refers severely aged accounts to others in collection department appropriately.
- Uses tact/sensitivity in communicating effectively/respectfully with physicians, patients, families, and coworkers.
- Has a thorough understanding of accounts, encounters, budgets and invoices, recognizes coding and posting issues and is able to appeal or re-file claims if necessary.
- Fully understands and is able to perform accurate account corrections.
- Collects payments from customers, posts to account, and accurately prepares daily deposits securing funds in a locked safe environment.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Previous experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified is required. Knowledge of pre-certification requirements, procedures and documentation of third party payers as well as advanced knowledge of medical terminology as well as diagnostic and procedural coding is required. Must have knowledge of managed care and experience with billing procedures as well as knowledge of computerized information systems specifically Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word. Able to maintain confidentiality of records and information. Position requires close attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Requires telephone and face-to-face contact with customers. Must be able to function effectively in stressful situations. Must be articulate, mature and highly organized.