POSITION: Accounts Receivable Representative
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for processing daily posting functions of insurance and patient payments and payer denials.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs daily insurance payment batching and verifies totals to the billing system utilizing the payer’s electronic files and website.
- Processes daily lock box patient payments with electronic file from Bank and website.
- Applies accurate contract discounts and deductibles to Patient Accounts.
- Contacts insurance companies or clients regarding payment posting issues.
- Updates accurate patient demographic and insurance billing information and makes necessary system corrections to the account.
- Recognizes overpayments and provides proper documentation to Accounts Payable for refunds or posting.
- Sets up and maintains files and record systems to support postings.
- Trains other personnel to function as backup in Accounts Receivable procedures.
- Uses tact and sensitivity in communicating effectively and respectfully with clients, families, co-workers, and all others by practicing established Customer Service Standards.
- Provides for maintenance of confidentiality of client records and communications to meet HIPAA requirements.
- Maintains the values and philosophy of the Clinic’s mission statement.
- Recommends quality and/or process improvement initiatives in order to more effectively and efficiently perform the job functions of this position.
- Identifies, sorts and date stamps incoming mail for proper distribution.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Previous experience in accounts receivable in a health care setting is required. Must possess strong analytical skills.Computer skills and accurate typing required. Position requires: a) ability to perform simple mathematical equations and familiarity with Excel spreadsheet program; b) ability to use 10 key calculators proficiently; c) excellent verbal and written communication skills.