POSITION: Collection Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Business Office
POSITION SUMMARY: Position provides clerical support in the pre-collection and bad debt turnover process
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Document accounts with alerts, turnover notes and prelist information timely and appropriately.
- Updates accurate patient demographic and insurance billing information and makes necessary system corrections to the account.
- Uses tact and sensitivity in communicating effectively and respectfully with physicians, collection agency staff and coworkers.
- Recognizes overpayments and provides proper documentation to Accounts Payable for refunds or posting.
- Has a thorough understanding of accounts, encounters, budgets, and invoices as they relate to this position.
- Fully understands and is able to perform patient payments and adjustments in our practice management system(s).
- Updates accurate patient demographic and makes necessary system corrections to the account.
- Sets up and maintains files and record systems to support postings.
- Uses tact and sensitivity in communicating effectively and respectfully with clients, families, co-workers, and all others by practicing established Customer Service Standards.
- Provides for maintenance of confidentiality of client records and communications to meet HIPAA requirements.
- Maintains the values and philosophy of the Clinic’s mission statement.
- Recommends quality and/or process improvement initiatives in order to more effectively and efficiently perform the job functions of this position.
- Sorts return mail related to bad debt accounts.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Takes initiative to seek out tasks and duties or to assist others as necessary.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and practices.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Position requires: a) ability to perform simple mathematical equations; b) ability to use 10 key calculator proficiently; c) excellent verbal and written communication skills. Prior experience in healthcare or insurance setting preferred. Must possess strong analytical skills. Computer skills and accurate typing required.