POSITION: HIM TECHNICIAN II
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting with confidential preparation, delivery and maintenance of patient health information. Routine tasks may vary based upon location. Proficient in all tasks as described in HIM Technician I position and may perform those functions as directed. Prepares paper medical records for scanning and electronic indexing. Organizes paper and electronic data received from outside entities for inclusion into SBC’s EHR.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains an organized paper or electronic medical record.
- Searches/retrieves charts or filing in a timely manner for appointments, messages, etc., as requested.
- Copies and releases PHI to outside entities for continuity of care according to HIM and HIPAA protocols.
- Preps incoming paper or electronic records in accordance with HIM chart organization guidelines, creating batches for electronic filing.
- Scans prepped records into images, tracking number of pages and assuring that all images are readable and accounted for.
- Maintains EHR’s Chart Movement to assure the paper/scanned record can be located
- Assures that records stored off-site are available in a timely manner whenever requested.
- Assists in the handling of HIPAA related forms
- Performs other clerical tasks pertinent to the efficient operation of HIM functions.
- Assists with telephone answering and Customer Service window as required.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
- Performs indexing (refers to the electronic filing of the scanned images into the patient’s electronic medical record) using HIM’s guidelines for the EHR’s Category View. Two forms of Indexing are performed, one for back scanned historical data, and one for the forward scanning of new material.
- Participates in routine quality control checks, requiring knowledge of all guidelines for chart preparation, scanning, and indexing.
- Performs electronic editing as requested by EHR users and/or patient amendments.
- May perform job training to HIM Technicians as directed by the Director of HIM or the HIM Supervisor.
Must have high school diploma or equivalent with additional medical terminology coursework or background. record/data entry computer experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Medical terminology, above average computer skills and knowledge of working with office equipment and electronic media in various forms are all required. Must be self-motivated and disciplined in independent work requiring a high degree of concentration and organization in a fast paced environmenT.