POSITION: Surgical Technologist
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs a variety of duties, including sterile set-up, instrument passing, etc., to assist the surgery team.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the organization.
- Supports and performs according to approved policies and procedures.
- Participates as a team member in support of the total perioperative process.
- Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Contributes to the progress and development of the approved Quality Assurance Program.
- Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to the patient and staff safety.
- Contributes to the quality management process; identifies role and contributions to functional teams.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances, and processes to identify opportunities to improve performances and quality of care.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers.
- Interactions are respectful and courteous.
- Communicates effectively and professionally using a translator when necessary.
- Documents that information received from the patient is disseminated to the appropriate people or department.
- Maintains and promotes professional competence through continuing education and other learning experiences.
- Participates in committees, conferences, and quality management activities.
- Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions or criticism and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance, as needed.
- Attends and actively participates in meetings, committees, inservices, workshops, seminars, and conferences according to job responsibilities and facility requirements.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Reports observed or suspected violations, hazards, and noncompliance according to facility policy.
- Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure.
- Maintains a clean and orderly central processing work area.
- Interacts appropriately with various age groups.
- Provides equipment and supplies appropriate to the patient’s age group.
- Considers age-specific patient requirements when responding to emergency situations.
- Assists in the provision of quality patient care, incorporating department policies and procedures.
- Maintains a safe environment by adherence to safety principles.
- Participates in staff meetings, committees, department inservices, and drills.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in setting up room for procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in sterilization and disinfection processes.
- Demonstrates safe and effective operation of equipment following manufacturers recommendations.
- Performs daily equipment checks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control and universal precautions.
- Monitors proper storage of instruments and supplies.
- Assists RN’s with patient positioning.
- Anticipates surgeon’s needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the surgical scrub, gowning, gloving, and draping.
- Ensures maintenance of sterile field.
- Demonstrates knowledge of instrument name, function, and use.
- Demonstrates skill of handling, passing, and cutting suture for the surgeon.
- Demonstrates ability to assemble instrumentation sets.
- Demonstrates proper disposal of sharps.
- Maintains quality relationships with surgery center staff, physicians, and other clinic departments.
- Pulls case carts according to physician preference cards.
- Assists with inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Maintains annual competencies.
- Verifies patient and procedure according to established policies.
- Able, with orientation, function as needed in the duties of other Surgery Center personnel, within legal limits.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for each surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Assists in the positioning, prepping, and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
- Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in case of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to circulating nurse and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary, and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Is fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments if necessary.
- Assists in the orientation of staff.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
High school diploma or equivalent along with the completion of a surgical technology program is required. CPR Certification required. Must have CST, unless grandfathered in through The South Bend Clinic.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Operating room experience is preferred. Must be detail oriented and very organized. Must be able to work under the direction of the Charge Nurse and Surgery Center Director while also receiving direction from physicians and other professional personnel.
Works in a patient care/operating room environment which required physical exertion, frequent changes in job demands and certain undesirable patient care activities and possible exposure to biohazards. Work schedule may vary to meet need of the SurgiCenter.